Wednesday, December 16, 2009

When the Fur Flys




Today I will dedicate this story to our furry members of this family.  Every family that I know of has had some kind of pet, either fish, bird, lizard, cat, dog and even my neighbour years back had an alligator.  I have always had a cat in our home.  House number one had Mimi , who was katnapped :(  and I immediately adopted Nunu and Tiki.  What a handful these two were.  I remember my most memorable stories on these two.  Returning home from an outting, coming into the house, I could hear an unusual rumbling noice in the bedroom hallway.  I though it was a burgler and was very cautious investigating.  As I ventured through the kitchen, I noticed my pork chops that were in the sink thawing, were gone.  With a quick swing to the right and through the door, I could see those two theives, with one corner of package in Tiki's mouth and the other corner in Nunu's mouth  running the chops out of sight.  These two were the most amazing duo and always in trouble.  They never slept and sure they spent most time scheming and planning their next attack.

I started dating a man that who as an antique dealer.  I had known him for almost 12 years and ...he had the right words and moves to make me feel special.  But he hated cats and kids.  Nunu and Tiki had to go.  What a mistake that was.  It's not to say that my cats will always be number one in my life, however it was a lesson learned that unconditional love from a pet is a precious gift that can not be taken away easily.  This man was physically abusive and on Halloween night and not amused by the little trick 'r treaters, he threw a cement patio block on the top of my car in a fit of rage.  If I could have picked up that stone, I would have thrown it back on him!  AND That was the end of him....and I gave my cats up for THAT?

Next came Katu.  She was special and my favorite.  Dont know why.  This was my "baby in the basket at the door" gift.  A lady just left her for me because she knew that I was missing Nunu and Tiki...and the stupid circumstances surrounding their leaving our family.  How kind she was.  Katu died of a blood disorder only half way through her life.  She was only ten when we had her life snuffed out.  I burried her ashes in the garden beside the house Rick built.  May she rest in peace forever.

We were in the middle of a move and that's when Ms Toi arrived.  What a funny little kitten she was.  About the size of a mouse and Hubby would carry her in his shirt pocket.  She is now 19 years old--that would be 93 years old in people years.  She has arthritis, bad teeth, underactive thyroid and the start of kidney malfunction.  But she is still my baby and she sleeps with me most nights.  I think she is always cold and that could be because we have a COLD house...it's OLD too!  Hubby said when I'm ready to let her go, he will take her to the vet's.  I was almost there last week, but the vet said she could have another year or so of happy life.

Then there is Bello.  Heaven knows why we were blessed with "Ninja Cat".  He flys from chair to bookcase, to piano and would land on the chandalier if he could find one.  Tonkinese are knowns to only befriend one person and Hubby is it.  Hubby really doesnt like the cats either, or so he says.  Bello is more like a dog than cat.  When hubby comes through the door, kitty is at his ankles and follows him everywhere.  When the family is quietly watching TV, Bello is sitting at his feet waiting for the signal to take over his lap.  But his favorite move is to jump on the back of hubby's chair and push his head into hubby's hair.  If he's lucky he gets the pat on the head and he's content.

In the next hour, I have to take the beast to the vet's.  He had an annual checkup and ended up having two absessed teeth removed.  He isnt the favorite patient at the vet's and his anti social behavior keeps the vets at a distance when we arrive.  With the last visit, Son and I were sitting quietly with Bello growling in my lap.  The lady beside me was patiently waiting for the vet to finish giving her kittie the routine checkup.  Kittie was visibly agitated, not cooperative and was quickly removed to the back room out of sight.  Son and I could hear the kittie bouncing off the walls and objects hitting the floor.  The lady beside us commented that she has never seen kittie like that before.   We know that it was Ninja Cat with his evil look. 

The vet is amazing with Bello.  He stares him down and waits till Bello decides to make friends.  Im so impressed!  Bello is quit lovable...really!


Now just before signing off...description of the picture.  Toi hates Bello.  This was a "kodak moment".  Bello must have replaced by an alien, or lost memory, or just hit by the cupid's arrow.  He is always 'jumping' Toi and she fights back.  This was "a moment"!  ...and I dedicate this picture to Edna who know's Bello best.

2 comments:

  1. i know this CAT! he sat in my sute case while visiting, and i had to fight with him to get my dainties, 5 mins later with a damp towel and scratches, i got my stuff away from this CAT!,

    later after going in and out severel times to the back deck to have a smoke, on my finnely entrey, i was locked out, i peeked into the screen there sitting so poised and sewwt, was that CAT! so i stayed out there for an Hr or so in my P.J wating for some one to come home and let me in, oh what the nighbors will say,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. i took this photo as i was leaving, look at his eyes, was he glad i was leaving?

    ReplyDelete