Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sad ending to a Happy New Beginning

For over 18 months now I have been storing over 50 wedding gowns, 50 or more formal gowns, at least 100 pair of white satin shoes and many little bridal accessories.  Anyone who has ever been on the Kijiji website, craigs list, ebay, or the likes has probably seen many of these items posted for auction.

Well today all of this stuff has been relocated to a new location.  I am sad but proud to announce that I have donated anything bridal related to http://www.thebridesproject.com/ "Fighting Cancer One Dress At A Time".  This is a not for profit organization that operates with only volunteers that dedicate their time to run a bridal boutique in downtown Toronto.  Their mission is to raise money and donate all proceeds to organizations that fund camping experiences for terminally ill children, children with cancer and the likes.  Last year The Brides Project was able to donate $15,000. 

Dorothy and Steve arrived at the Wolverton House today around 1:00pm and left by 2:30.  It took one and half hours to load their rental cube van.  Dorothy was crying when she was leaving...not sad tears by tears of gratitude to think that so many beautiful gowns existed for this donation.  She was telling me that they were praying for a miracle as they were running out of sellable inventory and afraid that they might not see another year with this venture.

I am so proud today that I too am almost in tears.  It is a sad day as I am closing a chapter of my life that was with me for over four decades; more than half of my life.  However Hubby is happy as we can now venture forward with the completion of the Wolverton House without brides trespassing on those weekends that are most precious as our working days for this project.  I have no more excuses and now have to settle down to work on the major rooms such as the dining room, parlour and most importantly, the front hallway.

From this day forward, I will keep a bit of myself involved in campagning to find other bridal shops that are willing to donate to this cause.  I believe that all children have the right to a healthy and happy future and I will do my part. 

Coming in June, I will be shaving my head again and raising money for Angel Hair For Kids. From 2006 to 2008, I was able to raise and donate $4,000 plus six hair locks including my own.  I am currently in contact with "rally for life" event in our community through the Cancer Society.  I am hoping that anyone who is reading this will reach deep into their pockets and donate for a worthy cause.  http://www.angelhairfoundation.org/hair_donations.cfm

For now, I will enjoy the empty house and the warmth of my hair until summer arrives.  Please join the cause!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information...
    Wedding Dresses Online Shop

    ReplyDelete